I've been coming to Lake Ouachita since I was a baby. There are pictures of me here in my little nightgown and my little orthopedic corrective shoes when I was just learning to walk. And even though I grew up in Oklahoma we came here so often that by the time we moved here when I was in 9th grade I literally knew everyone. My first day in our "homeroom" class the teacher asked if there was anyone who had met me and asked them to raise their hands and every hand went in the air.
Even though it's been years since I've gone way up the lake it came right back to me. I even remembered where all the shallow areas were. It's funny how it's imprinted in my memory. I spent my whole childhood on the islands on this lake and I love being able to come back.
Today we took off without a plan but just kept driving. We stopped a good ways up and jumped in and cooled off. This lake is one that you can be floating on your noodle and actually see your feet. That may sound funny to people who live here and are used to that... but not every lake is that way. So we were in the middle of this large lake and there's really no other boats around us, we looked up and saw this coming at us. Pirates. No just kidding!
It was a little alarming. Do they see us sitting here?? As they got closer they did turn and go right by us.

This is the fire boat that is parked at Mt. Harbor at the marina but we are pretty far up the lake. I guess they're going for a joy ride?? I wouldn't think this boat would be a joy to ride with the heat index's today.
One of the things I love most about this lake is that there are a lot of islands and the beaches on these islands have soft shale and you can pull your boat right up on the shore. We don't of course. That idea was shot down even though I've done it a million times when I was growing up. Joe said that was fine for then but not now. :)

miles and miles of islands... like a little Carribean right here in the middle of the Ouachita National Forest.

Mazie approves!

Here's a typical scene. Houseboats pulled up to a beach on some "private" island.
Today we ended up making it all the way to Blakely Dam. And Amy wanted to see the top so she could see what was on the other side. It really is pretty. I got close to the end and they had to swim to shore and go up.

I took this picture with my big lense. On the other side of the dam there's a park and people camp and can boat on the river. It's shady and is a pretty place. I just could never ever stay down there because I would have a fear the dam would break. :)
After they came down from the dam and swam back to the boat Evan decided there was no prettier water to surf in. It was nice. 172 feet deep and it was clear and cool.


Look! I'm in this picture. See me? No... not in the bikini look down. See? There's my toes. That's the only part of me I would allow to be photographed while I'm in a swimsuit.

On our way back we decide to stop at Crystal Springs as buy some fuel. To get there you go down through this cut in between two mountains. It looks like a cove but it keeps going back in through there.
By this time we are all sunburned in spite of our sunscreen AND sitting in the shade of the bimini top. And we're hot, hungry, and thirsty. So we headed back to our cabin. It really was nice to have an air-conditioned space to go to. I saw hundreds of camping sites today and even though I love to camp I am very much a fair weather camper.
I'm really enjoying having nothing to do. Nowhere to be. And I'm astounded that I can be in the middle of this beautiful secluded place and still have 3G phone service. Yet my populated town back home still does not have 3G. (ugh) too bad I really don't have anyone to call! :)
Yep! Life is good friends! Hope your having a blessed day!

Those are awesome pictures! It looks so peaceful. I always enjoy reading your blog!
ReplyDelete