Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Grandma Amy's lettuce salad

Here's another one of those old recipes that I have in my recipe box.  This one I got from Joe's mom, Julie. Julie got it from her mother, Grandma Amy.  I never got to meet Grandma Amy but I understand she was quite a character.  And, of course, she is who our Amy is named after.
This is one of those recipes that Julie makes whenever she comes to visit us because we request it.  She also used to get requests to take this to every pot luck they had at her work.
The secret to this recipe is to make it the night before and let it sit, covered, in the refrigerator and let the flavors come together.
This recipe calls for a 9 x 9 pan but I also like to make it in a larger pyrex dish because it goes too fast when you make a small pan of this. I just add more ingredients to fill the larger pan.


Add the ingredients to pan in this order in layers:
Chop approximately 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce or enough to fill the bottom of the pan
1/2 of bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 small to medium onion, diced
sprinkle with a bag (or box) of frozen peas
Spread mayonaise on top (around 4-5 heaping tablespoons)
3 Tablespoons of sugar sprinkled on mayo
8 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled on top
grated cheddar cheese as top layer

Cover with foil and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment