Thursday, July 22, 2010

Icebox Pickles



First of all I should say that I just feel really blessed to have this recipe.  There are certain ones that are special.  And this is one of them.  This recipe came from Carrie's mom.  And first she gave me a jar of them and then after eating them I begged for the recipe.  And luckily enough she was happy to share.  

Her cucumbers were sliced soooo thin.  I wasn't sure if I could do it as well as her but I did manage to get them pretty thin.  The same goes with the celery and the bell pepper and the onion.  It's all very thin and small.   But oh my gosh, is it ever worth the labor!  I love these pickles!! I hope you make them and love them!!  I actually got on to Amy and Joe for eating too many of them! I thought they were going to eat the whole jar.  That was before I got the recipe and I was panicking thinking they weren't leaving any for me!  


8 cups of thinly sliced cucumbers
1 cup of thinly sliced celery
1 med. size bell pepper thinly sliced
1 large white onion finely chopped
1 3 1/4 oz. jar of pimento, drained

Put the vegetables in a large bowl and toss with 1 1//2 Tablespoons of salt. 

In a pot bring to a boil:
1 cup of white vinegar
2 cups of sugar
1 tsp. of celery seed
1 tsp. of mustard seed

After this mixture begins to boil turn off the heat and let it cool.  When it has cooled pour it over the vegetables and then cover and refrigerate overnight.  You can put them in jars and keep them refrigerated.  




No comments:

Post a Comment