Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowmageddon 2011



The storm predictions were right this time!  We got a LOT of snow!  I have enjoyed it all from the inside of my home.  Sadly I don't get to go outside to play in it because of my bum leg, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to anyway because in addition to the record-setting snow, we're also having record-setting temperatures.  
You know, with every kind of storm you have people that have no fear and go out anyway in spite of the warnings not to do so.  Yesterday my boys did just that.  They took our Jeep out for a short expedition.  Do you remember our Jeep?  


It's pretty tall.  It has big ol' wheels and tires on it.  Well, the boys weren't gone for long.  They went for a ride around the island here and said that it was extremely treacherous.  We had about two feet of snow and had drifts up to around 4 feet tall in places.  They said it was treacherous.   And for them to admit that.... well... let's just say that was a rare moment.  I'm still letting that soak in.

 I've heard of local farmers getting their big farm trucks stuck and having to rely on their tractors as their only means of transportation.   Now that's saying something!  Here in Oklahoma we just think we can do anything we want!  And even today, over 24 hours later we still aren't doing a whole lot better.  Some people have dug out but it's amazing just how much this storm shut everything down.  For example.  The airport had flights cancelled for a day,  there have been multiple interstate highways here shut down for over 24 hours, the Hard Rock Casino in Tulsa had a roof collapse in a newer section of the facility.  The Tulsa World Newspaper did not print today for the first time in the history of the publication.   But here on the lake we had another issue.  Docks sinking.  The weight of the snow was causing the steel poles to bend and subsequently cause it to go down.  For those of you who've never been to Grand Lake we have BIG marinas.  This lake has private homes and businesses on it and it is super fun.  Because of the size we also have a lot of big boats here and with that a lot of marinas that house the big boats.  

Amy went out once again yesterday to take pictures for me so I could see beyond the walls of my house.  


Actually, I took this one.  Evan came back and said "Mom, you have to look at this is so cool!"  the sea gulls and the cormorants were lined up on one side of our cove and were tucked in under the snow on the shoreline to avoid the blowing snow that was coming down.  Their hind ends were still in the water but they were able to provide a little bit of shelter from the freezing cold winds that were blowing.  This was taken from between my shutters in my bedroom. 
Amy did take the rest of these though..

Poor little dogwood is just encapsulated in snow.  Hope it makes it!




One of the front windows of the house.  Shutters are shut to keep the warm air in the house.



Side of the house




Amy said all of the trees looked like this.  






Our little cozy fireside sitting area




The bricks here are above my head.  This drift has to be close to five feet tall.




Snowy chairs out by the pool



Another snowy seating area



This table is right outside my window 


You can see the snow on the dock but what you CAN'T see is the diving board on the right side of the dock.  The snow has covered it up.   Believe it or not, I don't think our dock has as much snow on it as a lot of others because of the blowing wind. 

I've finally decided it's safe for me to read my book.  I had started it but then stopped reading just in case our power went out and I needed something to do.  It's pathetic how dependent I am on technology.  There have been many times I'll have my t.v. going, be sitting here live streaming music, on facebook, while also texting, and going through pictures.  :)  I like to think I'd be fine though if it went out.  Believe it or not I'm pretty easily entertained.  I LOVE to play games but I'm having a hard time getting anyone to play with me.  I need my Lori.  

Anyhoo!  Love ya'll and stay posted because I'm working on getting some pictures of the marinas.  

xoxoxoxo!!!

P.S.  Just a little reminder that if you like the blog I'd love to have you sign up to be a follower.  And I love love LOVE for you to comment.  
It's not that I can't keep blogging without it but it's nice to know that someone's out there and this thing is actually "on".  It's just motivation for me.  You won't start getting unwanted mail or anything like that.  I love ya'll anyway!




2 comments:

  1. I love love your blog!!! How do I sign up to b a follower. I am computer challenged:)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always read your blog on the link from Shugs blog - Looks like you have a great place - Love the pictures - Know we have to get both you & Shug back up to par - Stay Warm!

    ReplyDelete