Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Roy D. Mercer

Oh my goodness.  I am so bad with names.  My new neighbor very much reminds me of Roy D. and he is the nicest man.  But when I met him all I could think of was 'Roy D. Mercer!' and his name just  drifted away... out of my memory forever.  I didn't remember his wife's name either because I was still mulling over Roy.D. Mercer.  So I was talking to Lori on the phone one day and was telling her a story about Roy D. and she said "oh I bet that made Sharon mad!"  "Is that her name?!!!" I asked?  Thank God for friends like Lori who have good recall.  I'm the friend that won't get us lost in the car and she's the friend that will remember every other detail other than how to get where we're going.
My biggest fear is that I'm going to slip someday and call him Roy D. and make a big fool out of myself.  Mostly because I never knew his real name.  I'd have to say things like "Are you and your husband going home today?" because they really live full-time in Kansas.

Well, Yesterday as the storms were building up across Oklahoma Joe and I were outside getting lawn chairs and things put away trying to prepare for the wind, and Sharon calls out to me.  So I walk over to visit with them and she's curious as to why I'm putting away things.  They don't have television in the new home, and are blissfully unaware of what was going on all across Oklahoma and Kansas.  So, Sharon asks me if I will please call them if we have any severe weather coming our way.  Of course, I would be happy to.  So she gives me the phone number to call them and as I punch it in my very smart iphone the name ROBERT pops up.  Turns out,  Robert... a.k.a.  Roy D. gave me their phone numbers so I could contact them in case of emergency while they are in Kansas.  But I was still completely fascinated and entranced by his Roy D. Mercer voice and never gave another thought to the fact that I had their phone number.

So, I PROMISE I am really going to work on my name recall now.  And I'm going to put down the crack pipe.
Meanwhile, I'll leave you with a Roy D. quote.

"You just go ahead and line up down there cause it's fixin' to be like an all day  a*% whoopin."

1 comment:

  1. Roy D.'s wife is named Sharon (I double checked) and he said her name is Sharon Kay but he calls her Sharon Jean. How funny is that?

    ReplyDelete