Thursday, January 20, 2011

Winter Wonderland!

I couldn't go to sleep last night.  I was wanting to see that it was snowing before I fell asleep.  I had waited all day long and watched the radar all day. It was like waiting for water to boil.  We were in the pink all day but nothing was hitting the ground.  I felt like a kid on the night before Christmas.  I went to bed feeling a little let down.

But this morning I woke up to SNOW!!!!  There was 2-3 inches on the ground and it was still snowing.  It was pretty too because the wind would blow it around.  I love it!!!  But it's really a bummer I can't go outside and 1. play in it, and 2. take pictures of it.  UGH!!!  It's torture.  But as George H.W. Bush said it "wouldn't be prudent. Not gonna do it."

Ok, so last night I was watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay.  I watched 2 episodes.  On the first show he challenged a lady in New York who is famous for her fried chicken.  I learned a couple of things.   She mixed hot wing sauce into her buttermilk and marinates her chicken overnight.  She also put a couple of crushed garlic cloves in the marinade.  The other thing she did that set hers apart was after she pulled the fried chicken out of the skillet she put in on a half sheet pan in the oven and baked the chicken for 15 more minutes and it gave it a crunch you could hear.  It made me drool.  I have already been craving fried chicken but this just sent me over the edge.  Why can't I live in New York?
The next episode he challenged a chuckwagon cook in Texas and they made chicken fried steak.  Besides my childhood dream of being a lion tamer or baton twirler when I grew up.. I also wanted to be a pioneer or a cowboy.  I would be the one that would have the chuckwagon stove.  So this episode was super fun for me to watch.  I took away one secret.  The chuckwagon cook put water in his egg wash to keep the meat from burning on the hot stove.  And I guess his stove, called Big Bertha, gets very hot.   Anyway, I thought it was very clever and I can't wait to try it.   And it also makes me miss Texas and it's grocery stores,  restaurants, and blue bonnets.  :)

On a different note.  I have decided that the Good Value Brand Mountain Trail Mix is seriously deficient in m&m's.

I've sent Amy outside with my camera to take some pictures since I'm convalescing.  Ha ha! I can't wait to see what she comes up with!

Stay tuned!!

1 comment:

  1. After working at Lindsey's Quick Stop and Wakeley's Quick Stop I don't much like fried chicken. And that was over 25 years ago. But, for some reason I've been craving fried chicken lately. I will make it for everyone else, and I always let mine soak in salt water for at least 24 hours. An other thing that I do is coat it with a flour mixture, then put it on a tray with wax paper and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Then I coat it with the flour mixture again.

    Hhmm..fried chicken does sound good.

    Gail Boyce

    ReplyDelete