Tuesday, January 4, 2011

One heck of NYE party :(

Hi everyone!  Sorry I haven't written.  I had a hard time blogging out of sheer boredom the week of Christmas.  Then came New Year's Eve.
We don't really like going out on New Year's Eve and decided to stay home with some friends and cook and just hang out.  By about 8:00 we were all yawning with full bellies and were fighting off sleep.  But we were determined to stay up and ring in the new year so we went upstairs and connected the new video games.  And... AND!!  We did it without help from the kids.  That was pretty cool.  I thought.  We played with the new Xbox Kinect and did dance games and then played the games that came with the Kinect system.  That's where things went wrong.  We were white water rafting and it was my turn and when I jumped up and then landed I fell and there was a loud pop as my ankle gave way.  I knew I was hurt right away and jumped into action.  I actually walked downstairs! Joe filled up a bucket with ice water and I iced it then wrapped it and elevated it. I cried.  Then I cried some more because I ruined everyone's New Years Eve. I hate being a party pooper!!!!

I do not like Emergency Rooms.  I don't know if it's because I'm a nurse and I see so many people go and use up emergency rooms for minor ailments that really aren't EMERGENCIES, or what but I absolutely will not go to an emergency room unless a bone is poking out.  And there was no bone poking out.   But I knew that something was wrong.  So I stayed very still all weekend and kept my foot wrapped and elevated and iced.  And I stayed very quiet not blogging or facebooking.  Because I knew it would all be over soon.

I got an appointment yesterday afternoon with the orthopedic surgeon.  I only did this because of my history with serious sprains and knew that's whose office I would ultimately end up in so I called them first.  All I needed was an xray to rule out a fracture.  So I got that done.  Sadly my plan of ruling out a fracture didn't go off as planned.  Chuck said to me "There's a reason why it felt different this time."  and I said "oh, it's fractured?"  he shook his head yes.  "But I won't need surgery, right?"   he shook his head no.  "what?"  Chuck said "Looks like a good possibility."  dang.  Then came in Dr. Ogg.
I'm usually a persuasive person.  And when negotiations don't work- tears usually do.  But no matter what I said he would not agree to just throw a cast on my leg and call it good.  I even told him he could set the bone in his office.  I mean, they used to do that right?  Chew on a stick, shot of whisky, and crack!  Can you believe he didn't go for that?  It sounded like a fine plan to me.  I mean, I cried ya'll.  I sobbed.  I told him he'd hate having me for a patient that I was the biggest baby in the world.  And even though I'm sure his internal voice was agreeing with me, he was very sweet and reassured me that I was not the biggest baby he'd ever seen and I must be tough to put up with this fracture for 3 days without going to see the doctor.  
I even asked just what would happen if I didn't get this set?  I mean really? I'm in my early 40's.  I could get a jazzy chair...

So, I'm having surgery.  Monday morning.  It will be an outpatient deal.  No big thing.  I'll have a plate in my leg.  Which probably means I can look forward to TSA pat downs from now on.
Jeez..

I'm sitting here perched on my bed with my computer, phone, crutches, glass of ice water, pain pills, and puppy dogs, and Arthur.  I'm sure I've already worn out my welcome with my family and friends.
I have to say though that I really like Julie's suggestion of getting a little bell to ring when I need something, or walkie talkies.  I am thinking I might also need a bullhorn.  One with all the noises.

ahhh...
Life is good!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Trish! Please know you can call me if you need anything. Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Trish....I feel so bad for you...Hope all goes well...
    We did the same thing with the exception of having a fracture. We danced to the xbox kinnect and bowled for hours...lots of fun...
    Don't be hard headed..do what the Dr's tell you to do...hugs, shug

    ReplyDelete
  3. We played that game at Shug's house on New Years Eve - So sorry about your fall. Good Luck with the surgery and enjoy being waited on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!! I'm being strangely compliant! I'm usually not like this. But I want this to be done right and be over with! Carrie thinks it happened because I was barefooted (which I usually am) so wear shoes!!!

    ReplyDelete