Sunday, January 30, 2011

Frozen lake



This picture was taken a year ago.  The lake was frozen over.   That may not seem strange to some people who live further north but this is Oklahoma and this was highly unusual for us.  As a matter of fact this was the first time our lake had completely frozen over since 1940 when the Grand River was dammed up.  We have a lovely lake that is nestled in the foothills of the Ozark Mountain Range.  I grew up in Oklahoma and I never knew an area like this existed until we moved here in 2000.  And while other lakes in Oklahoma may freeze this lake is deep compared to most.  With 1,300 miles of shoreline that's a lot of lake.  For us.   It was crazy listening to the sound of the ice as it cracked.  It was a loud boom and then it sounded like a jet flying over.  Very eery sounding.  I don't really recall how long it stayed frozen but I know it was well over a week.  The cracks in the ice appear to be wet but it was still frozen solid.   Every day Amy and I went down to hurl rocks onto the ice to see if they would crash through and it would just barely make a sound when it hit the ice.   We had a fox that came around even in the daylight. And I began to leave food out for him thinking he was hungry.  I wanted to be his friend.  But in the end he just used me for my food and moved on. 
Last year was a cold cold winter for us. I'm thankful this year hasn't been as hard.  No blizzard for us yet this year.  However, we are under a winter weather warning.  They are predicting 4-10 inches of snow and also ice.  The storm projections seem to be changing hourly, so who knows what we'll actually end up getting.  No matter what, we're prepared.  We have groceries.  We also have a generator that we bought during our last big ice storm.   It could turn out to be really bad or it could be nothing.  At any rate, if I don't blog for a few days you'll know I have no power or internet.  

I hope everyone stays safe!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment