Thursday, January 6, 2011

I've wondered

I wondered what in the world I would have to blog about since I'm basically on bed rest for now.  I can get up but I can't put any weight on my right foot and honestly I don't tolerate being up for very long at all.  I can feel pain in my foot and it begins to swell.  And crutching is not easy.  I'm already sore on the palms of my hands from pushing the handles on the crutches and my arms pits are sore from resting.  My muscles elsewhere in my body are sore from compensating.  So I stay in bed a lot.  I could get up into a chair or the sofa but I have a nifty Tempur-pedic bed and I can elevate my feet or head and so it's more user friendly for me.

It's hard being completely dependent on everyone.  I can't eat without help.  I can't carry a plate and crutch to sit down.  I can't stand long enough to cook anything.  I did manage to find a water "jug" with a handle that I can carry with my fingers while I crutch.  But unless something can be held between my teeth or around my neck I'm just out of luck unless I get other people to help me.  I've pretty much already pouted and resigned myself to this situation.

I've got my little stacks of belongings around me to help keep me entertained while everyone is away.  I have my computer, my phone, my book, my camera, my froo-froo lotion, the t.v. remote control, and thanks to my friend Michele I have magazines and MORE froo-froo lotion.  I do rest a lot because getting up just takes a LOT of energy and the drugs zap me.  But I have to say I haven't been bored or distraught about being down yet.  I haven't had a chance.

I have answered non-stop phone calls, texts, and Facebook messages from friends.  And I've had so much help from my family and friends that it really overwhelms me.  I just can't express how much it means to me to have a friends like I do.  Carrie stayed with me from 2:15 the other day until around 7:30 p.m.  She took me to my appointment and wheeled me everywhere and endured lots of wait time at the hospital.  Then she fed me dinner before taking me back home and made sure that I was set up with everything I needed until my family got home.  She's checked on me numerous times and came to take me out for a golf cart ride yesterday so I could enjoy the beautiful weather before this next cold front hits.
Then this morning Stephanie brought me breakfast and as if that wasn't enough she stayed with me and ate with me, then got me up and washed my hair, folded my laundry, and then took the Christmas ornaments off of the Christmas tree because we had been unable to get it done.  I just can't tell you what it means to have someone come in and just do what needs to be done.  It really touches my heart.

That's just some of what's been done for me.  I can't even begin to list all of the things that Evan, Amy, and Joe have done.  I'm basically a helpless baby!  They have seen me at my weaker moments when tears won't stop.  But they've also helped me in the most awkward moments that all you can do is laugh.
Amy had to help me out of her bath tub last night and get me dressed.  All with one hand over her eyes.  I told her she is SO lucky! I bet there aren't very many other girls get to do that with their moms.  :)

Today I made a list of things they can cook for quick dinners.  It is embarrassing for me to do that but we have GOT to stop eating out so much.  I've been reminded by two of my friends about the side effects of pain meds and so I need to bump up the fiber in my diet! (TMI, I know!)  But I happened to see a commercial today for Sunsweet Ones- the American super fruit! Prunes.  And guess what I got tonight?  My sweet husband brought me some.  Not bad!  I have to say I would have NEVER eaten one otherwise but my priorities are changing rapidly.

Anyway... I wanted to show you guys this.  These guys flew into my cove today and hovered over the water in the perfect area where I could see them outside my door.  It went on for hours!
So I crutched to the door with my camera around my neck and snapped a couple of photos so I could show you.


There's the house on the other side of the cove 
Can you see the gull?


He would hover and then dip down to catch a fishy


Then come back up and hover some more

And I was thinking today that I can't believe the temperature is in the mid fifties and I'm watching gulls floating and frolicking.  Last year the scene outside my window was this.


And from what I'm hearing snow will be in the forecast again soon.  Monday as a matter-of-fact.  So, maybe next week I'll have something else to look at when I look out the window.  

Life is good!  



3 comments:

  1. Yay Hooray my friend so glad you are blogging again Ive really missed it! Life is Good and you are soo Blessed even in these trying times! Love S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm blessed to have friends like you! Thank you so much for being my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know I wasn't the only one warning the side effects (or would that be "backside effects") of pain meds!

    ReplyDelete