Thursday, November 18, 2010

Throwdown

Did you guys see Throwdown with Bobby Flay last night?  Pioneer Woman challenged him to a Thanksgiving throwdown.  I was so proud of her!  She was precious and I thought all of the food looked wonderful.
My mouth literally fell open though we he showed up and the Drummond Ranch and started making pumpkin bread pudding and then Ree made a Whiskey sauce for her pecan pie.  I had been planning to do a blog on pumpkin bread pudding and I had gone back and forth between doing a rum sauce or a whiskey sauce.  What do you do when someone beats you to the punch?  Go ahead and blog about it?
I'll just leave it up to you guys.  You can let me know if you want me to do it.

I had been undecided about whether or not we should try to cook a Thanksgiving meal around our little jaunt to Dallas.  Last night while we were watching this show my husband said we definitely should do this.  We can do it when we get back!  :)  So, now I really am menu planning.  I need to pair down all of my "wants" because it would be entirely too much food for my family.

So far I'm wanting:

Turkey
Stuffing
paprika pan gravy
mashed potatoes
cranberry sauce
maple glazed sweet potatoes
green bean casserole
spinach casserole
pecan pie
and pumpkin bread pudding with Rum sauce

How do I decide what NOT to do?  I want to do the maple glazed sweet potatoes but eliminating the mashed potatoes is simply not an option.  My kids would protest.
Green beans vs. spinach??? Pecan pie vs. pumpkin bread pudding???? They had that dilemma on the show last night and it really was never resolved.

Ok, so I'm sitting here pondering these choices and snacking on salmon spread and Coke Zero and making my list.  

Life is good!

3 comments:

  1. My 2 cents: I'm in agreement with Amy and Daniel--got to have mashed pots with TG dinner. I would go with pecan pie over pumpkin bread pudding because the texture of the pecan pie would be refreshing after the traditional TG fare. Green Beans vs. Spinach--tough one, both sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I usually go with the spinach. It's yummy!
    Okie dokie! You and Lisa want to come eat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to see the spinach recipe. Would love to add something new to our menu this year. I watched the show and was interested in the brocolli pom recipe? Okay, okay, the pumpkin bread pudding sounded great too. I am all about the whiskey sauce.Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete