Tuesday, November 9, 2010

All-State Cheer is finally here!


Cheerleading.  Cheerleading is one of those sports that has quickly evolved since the time that I cheered.
I hear people all the time talk about cheerleading like it's so easy ANYONE could do it.  After all, it's not nearly as hard as all the other sports, right?  And there are many who argue that cheerleading isn't even a sport.  Thank goodness OSSAA disagrees.  In our state it is recognized as a sport and in many other states as well.  
Most fans see the cute girls on the sidelines of games and that is there complete impression of cheerleading.  Cute girls (and guys) cheering.  But what they DON'T see is how stinkin' tough these kids are.  The cheering at school and on sidelines of games?  That's gravy!  That's just the icing on the cake. The cherry on top.... You get my drift? 
What really makes these kids tick is the competition.  And don't think for one second they aren't fiercely competitive.  


There are few things so nerve wracking as this walk out on to the mat
All eyes on you....


But then the cheer starts and for two minutes it is ON. 
These teams have two minutes to compete for a title.
Two minutes of:

Memory- not stop cheer for two minutes.

Being loud- cheering LOUD while you move, tumble, & stunt.

Precision- precise choreographed moves.

Showmanship- smiles and major attitude.

Stamina- strength- and skill.



And knowing that you are part of a team!  One wrong touch or move on your part can ruin it for your whole squad.  And that's the thing that ties you up in knots. Not letting your team down.  The people you've caught, bruised, and shared sweat with. (Yes, yuck!)


From the powerhouse people underneath who show their strength, to the girls who fly...


Every single moment counts.  One touch on the ground out of a tumbling pass costs the team major points and often a chance at winning.   So they devote hours to staying fit, practicing their routines and also working on their tumbling skills.  Injuries?  Yes, they happen.  But if it happens while they're competing they keep that smile on their face, even though there may be tears running down their face and they finish.  








This is our team last Saturday at OSU 
They got to use music in part of their routine and so it's fun for them not to have to say words the entire time.  Those are the FUN routines!

                                                                    
here's my girl upside down
she's kind of hard to see



And they won! 

For these two girls it was a huge sense of relief!  It has been a tough year at times for them.  So many ups and downs. 


Here's a picture of happiness!
Hard work that paid off.


Forgive me for a moment while I rant about something:
I hear people all the time talk about how "skimpy" uniforms are.  There is a reason!  See this girl?
See how she has her t-shirt pulled up?  Think she's showing off her 6 pack abs?  Which she does have by the way.  If that were the case every person standing on the side would have their shirts pulled up.  They are beasts.  The reason that college cheerleaders have bare midrifts is so that her stunting partner can catch her when she flings herself down.  She trusts this guy to catch her and he would rather die that have her break her neck because he didn't catch her.  Not alllllll uniforms are skimpy. 
There.  I'm through ranting.




Here's my girl stretching at the All-region competition



Here's a picture of what a bundle of nerves look like
Very solemn faces.  

Tomorrow our two seniors, including my girl, go to compete at the All-State Cheer competition.  It's going to be tough.  4 regions and 16 girls (and possibly guys) from each region.  16 will walk away with the honor of being an All State Cheerleader.  It is the best of the best.  And I am very proud that my girl has gotten to this level.  No matter what!   There's no team with her this time.  It's just competition on an individual level.   I know she will be nervous.  The coaches from colleges are there to watch them and I know Amy especially wants to shine for them.  Well, not THEM, just one coach in particular.  :)
So please friends, lift her up in your prayers!  I know I will be.  
I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I'm so proud of her dedication and maturity and her character. 

<3  

Best wishes Amy!  We are all proud of you!!!  Have fun and enjoy the moment!!!  




No comments:

Post a Comment