When I have an idea of what I want to blog about I usually think on it for a few days before posting. It is hard sometimes for me to blog because I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence by blogging about something that is too simple. Recipes in particular...
I've ordered several cookbooks since summer and I've noticed a trend. It seems like it's suddenly popular to post recipes that are not new and not difficult. And I was sort of perturbed when one of my cookbooks written by a country singer posted a couple of simple recipes, but then I thought... well! That's what her heritage is and it's about comfort foods she grew up with. But THEN this week I spent money again on a well known chef that frequents news shows and has her own show on Food Network (I think you know who I'm talking about) and there was a recipe for pigs in a blanket in there. COME ON!!!!!! Pigs in a blanket?? It makes me want to ask for my money back. True it was in the appetizer section.. but still. This lady is a well renowned chef. I expect more.
Ok, whew.... I feel better now that I got that off my chest.
I'm sort of feeling bad now that we're going to be gone over the Thanksgiving holiday. I'm excited about watching the Cowboys and the Saints play but I feel so strange not menu planning. I think I'm going to have to cook a traditional Thanksgiving meal after we get back. I'd cook it for Christmas but we generally have a different meal for our Christmas tradition. Thanksgiving is all about the turkey and Christmas is when I bake a ham. That way I can make my cheese grits souffle. They go together so well.
Anyhoo!!! I have made several different meals through the years. There's the Thanksgiving meal I grew up with... and then there are some that we've tried from various magazines. There is one in particular that is a family favorite. They won't let me make any other kind now.
The stuffing is a cornbread dressing with kale. I know kale has become very popular as of late but we've been using this recipe since 1990 when we had this at my sister's house. This menu also calls for a paprika pan gravy and it is sooooo wonderful. I can't tell you. I don't make it as well as Uncle John but even mine isn't too shabby. I'd be happy to share this with you all if you like.
I'm also working on a Thanksgiving dessert recipe for you... and I'm going to share a cheeseball recipe with you. Maybe even later on today.
Any requests???
Just bring them all on girly I so love new things to try
ReplyDelete:)
Paprika Pan Gravy sounds interesting and I love kale in anything.
ReplyDeleteKari~
Cheese ball recipe and your whole menu for Thanksgiving please:)
ReplyDeleteJulie