Living in a small town that is out of the way I often find myself stocking up on certain things when I shop in bigger towns and find products or foods that we can't consistently find in our grocery stores. Then after a while when I can't stuff anymore into my pantry, refrigerator, or freezer I decide it's time to use what we have on hand. I've been in one of those moods lately where I feel like I need to use up what we have and stop spending. That's how I came about thawing out these ribs. I honestly forgot JUST how much food that is. It is enough to feed two families, or a gang of kids after a day of wakeboarding on the lake.
Needless to say we're going to be having ribs as left overs for a few days.
I don't really want to do a blog on how to cook ribs because everyone's idea of how they like barbeque is so subjective. I will be happy to tell you how I do them though if you ask. I personally like ribs where they are juicy and tender and the meat is almost falling off the bone.
I believe in cooking them low and slow. I started mine this morning and kept the oven on 200 for several hours and then when I got to the point I was ready to start thinking about dinner I cranked up the heat.
Here's a website I found though that has some useful information:
http://www.bbqinstitute.com/Ribs.htm
I wasn't sure what I hand on hand in the way of sauces or spices so I checked. And here's what I had.
Head Country is a staple around here. If you've never tried it you should know that most Oklahoman's who barbeque use this product. It is made in Oklahoma. Ponca City to be exact, and is very much a locally famous product.
Sweet Baby Ray's is a sauce that we started using over the summer. The bottle shown is the original bbq sauce but what's actually inside of it is about half of the original sauce and about half of a leftover bottle of their raspberry chipotle sauce. It's yummy!!!
The other products shown were giving to me by Stephanie this summer. She picked them up at Williams- Sonoma. The can in the middle is a coffee rub and I love it!!! It could very well be my new favorite barbeque rub. She also gave me a bottle of peach jalepeno sauce and it is long gone but was delicous. The Ad Hoc products I hadn't had a chance to use yet so today I decided to give it a try!
Actually, I thought.... 3 racks of ribs... why not have a little taste test? And so that is exactly what we did.
I season the ribs with dry rub and cook them that way only adding the barbeque sauces in the last few minutes of cooking.
I had sort of forgot which rub was on which rack of ribs but we were able to figure it out by taste.
The Ad Hoc sweet and spicy rub was hotter than hell. Lori would love it!
That rack ended up getting paired up with the Sweet Baby Rays sauce and it will set your lips on fire.
The Ad Hoc barbeque sauce was apple and bacon flavored and it didn't really sound that appealing but turned out to be my favorite sauce! It didn't over power the ribs and wasn't burning my lips off. It was paired up with the coffee rub and was by far my favorite!
I don't know if I'm just loving the change of flavors or what. I always love Head Country, but today it didn't blow my skirt up.
Yum!
I was thinking today that I'm going to have to re-learn how to cook when my kids are gone from the house. I really honestly don't know how to cook for just two people. But it sure will be fun when they come back home and I get to get back to feeding an army!


No comments:
Post a Comment