I usually try not to put the cart before the horse. I try to enjoys holidays as they come and be in the moment. I like Halloween to be Halloween. Thanksgiving (which is my favorite!) to be Thanksgiving.
And then... let Christmas be Christmas..
But that is getting harder and harder to do! I went on a shopping trip with my daughter yesterday to Northwest Arkansas and it was a beautiful sunny day, temperatures in the mid 60's. As we pulled into the parking lot of the mall we both gasped at how gorgeous the maple trees were! They were absolutely on fire with color. And then we got out of the car and were assaulted with the sound of Silver Bells playing on the speakers. And it was clear that Christmas was everywhere.
We ran into a friend who asked me if I was getting excited yet about shopping for Christmas and gasped when I said no.
But I have to admit, I'm slowly being worn down. The first thing that made me smile was reading my friend Kim's blog http://luparduslifeorsomethinglikeit.blogspot.com/ and the instant it came on I knew the music! Christmas at Hogwarts. I could instantly envision the scene. ahhhh.... If only every Christmas could be like that. And Kim is so ready for Christmas to be here that her excitement is rubbing off on me.
Then as the day went on yesterday we made one final stop into Bath and Body Works because they have my favorite candles. Slatkin candles! mmmmm.... and in one sniff I was suddenly feeling a little more Christmasy. I bought 2 candles. One is Holiday wreath and the other is Winter Garland.
I got home and lit one immediately. And today I woke up and decided it's time to start getting ready to decorate. Today all the fall decorations are coming down and we MIGHT drag one or two Christmas things out. I promised Joe we could do this in stages.
I'm also in the mood to cook! (surprise, surprise!)
When do you all start feeling the Christmas spirit? To me the years that we go to Colorado are the best. We really don't exchange gifts. We go to Christmas eve service and then dinner in the town of Crested Butte. The next morning we wake up, eat breakfast and ski. Those simple times are the best and we I truly feel God's presence. It's hard not to when you're in such a magnificent setting. And it is sort of like a Hogwart's Christmas. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment