Naturally, I really wanted to see my friend Gina. I'd missed her. And it was really fun spending time with her again! And then there was this cute guy who happened to be there. There was no way I wasn't going to go back.
I had been kind of embarrassed the night before showing up in my work clothes. Overdressed? Yes. So I tried to make a better impression on night number two.
Well, I get to the room where Gina is staying and it's full of girls. Friends of the fraternity brothers, some were girlfriends and some were there just to party. Then there was this beautiful blonde girl who kept talking about Joe. Joe this, Joe that. Turns out the cute guy had a GIRLFRIEND. I was not a happy camper. I don't like being played. I was ready to leave. She was telling everyone that Joe's parents had both come to town and how she was having to entertain them, blah blah blah.... About the time I'd heard just about enough I went to leave and who should come in?? That's right! The cute guy. And when he did he came straight over to me. He was so glad I was there.
Can you even imagine my confusion? I was not about to ask a bunch of questions to people I hardly knew but Gina told me that this very cute girl was his ex girlfriend and they were no longer seeing each other.
So here I am stuck straight in the middle of guy drama. The last thing on Earth I wanted. I would have left but he clearly was focused on me and was ignoring her. And to this day I can't figure out why she stuck around. But she did. All night long. And I wasn't about to leave him with this cute little vixen so I stayed and we talked for hours. Talked until the sun came up. Time flew by.
I had put off homework all weekend long and I had some major catching up to do. And he had to leave to go back to Dallas. So, he walked me to my car and we exchanged numbers. He said he'd call and we'd meet back up again sometime. And we might have hugged... but I sort of doubt it. And I drove away. I remember having this HUGE lump in my throat. And this overwhelming feeling of sadness.
Why did I have to meet the perfect person for me at the completely wrong time. I just knew I was never going to see him again. I knew he'd never call. I knew how busy he was in school. I knew how many eligible girls lived in Dallas. And I knew how focused I needed to be. I just had to put the thought of him behind me. So I went back to my little apartment and threw myself into my homework.
About six hours later I was sitting on my sofa with books all around me when my phone rang. I went to answer it thinking "don't get excited, there is no way it's him." and guess what??
BIG HUGE GRIN ~ EAR TO EAR~ it was HIM. He'd been thinking about me the whole way home. He wanted to see me again. He was thinking he needed to go back and see Bert again the following weekend. Perfect. Was I available? Uh, yes!!!!
So, the following weekend he came to see Bert and I gladly made time to drive to Arkadelphia. And I got my first kiss from the cute guy!
Turns out Bert had tried to set Joe up with a blind date too. Joe had a date already with a girl who he'd sort of crushed on in college and she'd had recently broken up with a boyfriend. Then at the last minute she called Joe to cancel. She and her boyfriend had gotten back together. Then right after that Bert had hit Joe up to have a blind date (me) and he said no, he just wanted to hang out with the guys.
To make a long story short, we saw each other every single weekend for a year. Except for one weekend during finals. 5 hours one way from Dallas to Hot Springs. I went to see him some, but for the most part he came to Hot Springs. 10 hours of driving time every single weekend. A year because that's when I graduated from nursing school. And that's when I could go be with him. And that story will have to be part 3. But right now I've got to go get ready. My friend Gina is coming to see me! So is Lori. Lori didn't introduce me and Joe but she and I sang Guitarzan together when we were little and played Charlie's Angels. :) And we certainly make lots of mischief still!
Who could ask for a better birthday/ anniversary that to have friends here?!! Especially one that's mostly responsible for our 21 year marriage and wonderful family!!!
I love it.....God had this in his plans all along.....Maybe someday, We will get the chance to meet Joe..
ReplyDeleteShug
Trish - awesome story - you two are the best and deserve each other. I love you lots and love your blog :)
ReplyDelete