Tuesday, June 22, 2010

How I met Joe- part 1


Fate.  It's hard not to believe that it wasn't fate that caused me to meet my sweet husband.  I could have easily not ever met him.

I was a fun lovin' 80's girl with big bangs working as a hostess at a resort in Hot Springs and was going to nursing school and was beginning to settle down.  I didn't want to date anyone.. didn't want any drama.  I just wanted to focus on my goal of doing well in school and becoming an independent person.  Then I got a call one day from my friend Gina.  Gina was one of my best  friends in High School and she was going to college in a town about 45 minutes from Hot Springs and had been steadily dating a guy I'd never met.  I hadn't seen Gina in about a year because we'd both been busy with school and other things.  Well, on this day Gina called me at my apartment.  It was before the days of cell phones and easy access to people.  If you didn't catch someone at home then you just didn't get them!  Well, Gina was going to be in town as it turned out.  Her guy she was seeing (Bert) was coming to town and was catching up with some old fraternity brothers at a local hotel.  She wanted me to meet him and she wanted to catch up with me.  Well, I really truly didn't have the time.  I was working that weekend and I'm sure I had a ton of homework... but she told me that if I didn't make the time to come see her she was never talking to me again.  Which I knew was a big fat lie, but it did convince me to say yes.  The next day Gina called me and said that she had a date for me.  To which I said no, no, no.  I didn't want a date!  I'd just been told she was never going to speak to me again if I didn't come see her!  Why would I want a date??  So she persisted and told me all the reasons why I should meet this guy.  He's cute, and he's cute, and he's cute.  I told Gina thanks but no thanks.
So, the day rolled around that she was in town and I went to work but when I got off that night I was tired and really just wanted to go back to my little apartment and go to sleep but I had promised her I'd come see her.  So I thought to myself "she will be busy with other people, I'll make an appearance, and then head home."  So I went.
As it turns out this cute guy caught my eye.  We started talking and really hit it off.  Immediately!  Then she caught me and mentioned that it was this cutie she'd wanted to set me up with!  Turns out he lived in Dallas and was in dental school but had come back to catch up with his old buddies, especially his best friend Bert.  Then this cute guy asks me if I'd like to go for a ride.  He told me that his parents had recently divorced and since he was coming to town his dad showed up to see him with his new wife, and then his mom had also come to see him and had brought her new boyfriend.  He wanted to run and hide.  I was EXTREMELY hesitant to go.  I am pretty sure I told him no, and then I turned and Gina was shaking her head YES~  to me.  She was saying "GO!"

To keep this story short, we drove and we talked.  Then we eventually went back when we thought the coast would be clear.  And we talked and talked some more.  Then in the wee hours I decided I'd better head back to my little apartment and get some rest.  And when I left he asked me "Are you coming back tomorrow night?"  and I said "YES I AM!"  haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment