Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Day After...

Well darn.  I was working on a blog yesterday in which I was talking about the lake and how the recent floods have left us with muddy water, debris and how it's up above the normal level.  I'd planned to talk to you about the spillway here but then yesterday afternoon I turned on the news and saw the tornado that hit Tuscaloosa and then moved on to Birmingham.  It was horrific.  The hairs were standing up on the back of my neck watching it on live t.v. and knowing that peoples lives were being devastated.  Sort of makes any other blog subject seem ridiculous.

So, I just don't feel like talking about the lake.  Instead I'm going to share with you a little story about a bird.

Last Thursday I noticed that a hummingbird had come up and was looking in the window of the dining room.  Then he moved over to the living room windows.  My first thought was that he was looking at his reflection but then he moved to the door and I know he had to have seen me and he just kept hanging around hovering.  I smiled thinking "I bet he wonders where his Koolaid is!" and then it hit me!  He really does look like he's wondering where the feeders are.  Could it be a hummingbird that was here last summer?  I ran and filled up a feeder because I hadn't put them out yet this year and hung it up.  He stayed out there for the rest of the day making trips to the porch for a drink.


Here he is the next day.  It was pouring down rain.  We ended up getting 8 inches of rain here.  But he just sat on my back porch most of the time.  He would fly around for a minute then come back and sit where he was sheltered from the rain and close to the feeder.  I went several times to the window and took his picture.  He would turn around and face me as long as I was there.   

I had no internet at home because of the storm the night before so I got my phone and googled "Does a hummingbird come back to the same place."  I love google.  I found lots of information.  To make a long story short.  It is believed they do.  The article talked about their migration.  It is nothing short of amazing.  They don't travel as a pack.  It's just one little bird on a mission to find a spot to feed.  This one I am thinking and hoping lived here last year!  The article did say that they might leave though and find a new place if they don't have food.  So you can bet this little guy will have a never ending supply of hummingbird food.  

He's still around.  He comes up and feeds when I'm out on the back porch.  As a matter of fact I've had to make sure I leave the door shut so he won't accidentally fly inside.  Arthur has his eyes on the hummingbird.   

Here are some photos from last year.



Maybe???  I hope it's the same bird.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment