Thursday, April 7, 2011

Recipes for Dilly Bread

Yesterday my kitchen was smelling so wonderful with fresh bread baking.  I can't tell you the last time I made bread.  It's been such a long time that when I left the kitchen my daughter pointed to the bread and asked my husband "what's that?"
We could not stay away from this bread!  We kept cutting off small pieces to nibble on while we were waiting for dinner to cook and we were full by the time dinner rolled around.  This was very easy to make and was delicious! Give it a try.  If I can do it so can you!


Dilly Bread

1 packet of dry yeast
1 cup of cottage cheese (heat to lukewarm)
1/4 cup of warm water
1 tsp. sugar
1 tablespoon of minced onion
1 tablespoon of butter
2 tsp of dill seed
1 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of baking soda
1 egg, unbeaten
2  to 2 1/2 cup of flour

Soften yeast in water.  When yeast has gotten bubbly (about 5 minutes) add the cottage cheese, sugar, onion, butter, dill seed, salt, soda,  and egg.  Then add the flour and mix.  Cover and let rise in a warm place for 50-60 minutes.  turn the dough into a greased 8" casserole dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.  Brush with butter and sprinkle with coarse salt.

I could tell at this point my bread was going to be great!  I didn't kill the yeast! 
See it bubbling?  


As your adding this you have to believe it will work out because it just doesn't seem right


Some how I forgot to get pictures of me adding all of the other ingredients but they're all in there.
I didn't use a mixer at all to combine the ingredients.  I very softly stirred to combine so I wouldn't over-handle the dough.  Nobody told me to do this.  I don't know why I felt the need to do it.  You don't have to do it.  But after it was combined I covered this with a kitchen towel and set aside to let it rise.





When I went back and saw that it had risen I did a happy dance!






I baked it in my momma's Corningware bread pan

It doesn't rise a bunch but it rises some... it's a coarse bread.


Oh my... 
You all need some of this!  It is HEAVEN!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment