Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sept. 11th

Words cannot begin to express my emotions about this day.  My mother always told me stories about how she felt the day she heard Pearl Harbor was attacked.  She can't remember who I am half the time but she can probably still tell you about that. She knew exactly where she was and who she was with.  I always thanked God that I never knew that kind of anxiety and fear.  But that has changed many times in the past 15 years but particularly on September 11, 2001.  I was at home that morning watching t.v. and had the morning news on and I watched live as Diane Sawyer showed the first tower as it had smoke coming out of it and said that reports said a plane had hit the building.  We still did not know at that point what was about to happen.  I watched on live t.v. as the second plane hit the second building.  It makes me cry right now just typing this.  And of course the other terrorist attacks followed in short order.
I did go check my kids out of school that day.  Not because I was scared we were going to be attacked but I just wanted them close to me. And I really wanted Joe close to me too but I don't think his work would have been so understanding.  I can remember for the first time ever being outside and noticing how quiet it was.  No sounds. It truly was like the world stopped spinning.  And it made my gut hurt and my mouth go dry.  And I felt like that for the longest time. As did everyone else... I did not know anyone who died in those attacks but I have friends who did.  And I also have friends who have family that died in the Oklahoma City bombing.  There are just no words to express the sorrow.  And the absolute determination that follows.

I really don't take this day lightly.  Neither does Amy who accused me of being anti-American for throwing a huge party on this day.  It does somehow seem wrong.  Even though I know it's not.
I am sure I'll have pictures soon of our shrimp boil tonight but I just had to express my feelings.  I have the utmost respect for our country and the people who died in this terrorist attacks, and those who have to live with the grief of losing loved-ones in those attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment