When your kids leave you go from having so much to do you can't keep up with anything to absolutely nothing! Compound that with that weird feeling you have where you do that maniacal laugh/ cry thing when people ask you how your new graduate is doing at college and you decide you'd be better off just "staying in" for a little while. I'm wondering right now if you guys did that. I'm afraid now it could just be me.
Let's just say I was in a funk when Evan left. And to cope with that anxiety of having a baby leave the nest I decided to clean out closets, etc. Sort of nesting- only in reverse. While going through a big Rubbermaid box full of pictures and keepsakes I came across and old letter. And opened it up to read it.
It was to me, so I was allowed.
Can you read it? I will repeat what it says just in case you can't. It says:
Dear Trish,
Just a little note to say hi! And see what you've been up to.
I hope Ms. Jackson isn't working you too hard in the first grade.
School started last week for me and so far I'm really enjoying it.
And I only have one freaky teacher- my sociology teacher.
I spent a lot of time over the Labor Day weekend with a neat dude named
Mark Stephens. RIGHT ON!
Tonight I'm going to a free rock concert right outside my dorm.
I hope you can get somebody to take you to the farm to ride Strawberry.
Learn a lot in school and learn how to ride really well, and you can show off for me
next time I come home.
Love,
Kitty
So I flip the envelope back over and look... September 4, 1973. And an 8 cent postage stamp.
1973... that explains a lot.
freaky
dude
free concert
Right on!
But then I flip it over to look at the back and see this:
Muldrow Tower. That's where I had just moved my boy. Into Adams dorm and into Muldrow Tower! In the seventies Adams dorm had four separate towers that aren't connected like they are now.
Isn't that sweet?
See, I tell you it's a family thing....





No comments:
Post a Comment