Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What a trip

Of course this is the goal:



So we went to the final open audition in Norman.  A trip that goes off without a hitch would be boring right??  The first trip I had to stay home because I was a week or two post-op.  The second trip I went on crutches.  This trip?  The car broke down.   We arrived in Norman and checked into our hotel at 3:20 threw our stuff in our room and went back out to go shopping.  Only that didn't happen! My roadside assistance was called at 3:30.  Shortly after that they called me back telling me the Mercedes Benz tech in OKC couldn't come because he was getting married.  I was told there was no other tech, he was it and he was getting married.  So they sent a "3rd party vendor" to come jump my car.  So the nice man arrived, and they weren't able to start my car.  So many hours later after absolutely losing my freakin' mind with the roadside people and chewing the butts of 3 people I get notice that the "tech from OKC will be coming."  Mind you, I'm in Norman.  I'm not out in the boondocks.  I really was scared some guy was going to show up in a tux with a bride in tow.  But that is not at all what happened.  I got some kid that looked like he was about 21.  He was NERVOUS.  I don't know if they told him what a raging witch I was, or what.  But he was chain smoking!  And he clearly wasn't going to deal with me for the long term.  He ended up convincing roadside assistance people to tow my car to Tulsa.  Which is what I wanted to begin with.  Then this kid followed me into the hotel and tried several times to buy me a drink.  Which I was NOT having.  I finally decided just to wait for the wrecker from my room so I could just get away from the tech.  Finally the wrecker shows up and he is "new to the wrecking business" and didn't know how to get my car into neutral.  He was "calling a friend to help".  At this point it had been 5 hours since I called roadside assistance and I was hungry, my ankle was throbbing and I was ready to go to bed.  I told him how to get to Jackie Cooper Imports in Tulsa and where to put the key and I went to bed.  A little later Amy's friend dropped her back by our hotel.  (I forgot to mention that she took off with friends- thank goodness!)

The next morning I got the hotel to take us by shuttle to campus and drop us off for the last audition. 

 Here's the group of girls 




And Amy had a good workout with the team


Performing the fight song for the coach and captains


Gotta show 'em what you got!


And then read what they have to say about you 

The hardest part is turning in that sheet of paper when it has something that's not so great written on it. Actually it only had one comment that wasn't just glowing.
But it had lots of nice things on there too.  "Good prancing" was among the positive feedback. 
She has Michele Martin to thank for that.   Actually, Michelle gave Amy something to laugh about she said "Guess what was on MY evaluation when I tried out!"   She told us her paper said "lil chubby".  
At first that makes you jaw drop but then you can't help but laugh because Michele is TEENY TINY.  There is nothing chubby about her.   Over all, it was a very good morning.  Michele, Steph, and myself were a little teary-eyed watching our girl do the fight song.  :)  No matter what happens we are proud of her!

So we had Michele take us to the mall in Norman so that we could go to the Avis car rental place.  We rented a little compact car that smelled like cigarettes and went to pick up our belongings at the hotel.  Then we ate lunch at Ted's then went for a few things at Target.




This is silly, I know.  But we only bought things we can't get in Grove, America.  My girl and Steph are hooked on skinny water.  I went for the Zero Water flavors we can't find consistently and we got umpteen boxes of bars we can't get here in town.  I can't explain all of the Special K bars.  Because we do have that.  And then there are the containers of my brand new favorite sugar free lemon gum.  

Then we headed towards home!  We drove about 1/4 of the way to Tulsa and a warning light came on our little compact car!  It was flashing at me, then just stayed on, and then went off!  I pulled over to check the tires and saw that the tires were fine so we just kept on trucking!  We couldn't go over 60.  

I finally got to Jackie Cooper and got a loaner car from them then turned in the little smoky compact car at the nearest Avis drop off place.  

So we are all three very glad to be home but honestly we had a great trip in spite of our troubles.  We laughed to the point of tears several times and we came away from this with such great memories and stories to tell for SURE.  

But it is good to be home.  
Life is good!






1 comment: