Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Do the mashed potato

Please.... for the love of all things good.... do not use an electric mixer on your mashed potatoes.  It's just wrong!
I'm not saying mixers are wrong.  Just wrong for mashed potatoes.  It gives mashed potatoes a gluey texture.  And gluey texture is bad.

Anyone can make great mashed potatoes.  Here's my secret weapon.


A potato masher!


A good rule of thumb is to cook two potatoes for every person. Unless you're me.  Then you cook too much.
I use either russet potatoes or yukon gold.  I usually peel them (however I didn't in the picture above).
I cut them into quarters, unless they are huge and then I cut them into eighths. ha ha.  kidding.  I just try to make sure that they are pretty uniform in size so they will all cook at the same rate.  Cover them with water and you can add a pinch of salt if you like.  Bring to a boil.  And watch them- testing after a few minutes to see if they are tender when pierced with a fork.  Then drain them in a colander. And return to the pan you cooked them in.  

I didn't take any pictures of me mashing.. because it's boring and I needed to mash.  But I started off with half a stick of butter for these 8 potatoes.  Then after they're slightly mashed I add salt and pepper.  You can also add a minced garlic clove at this time.  Then you can either add whole milk or if you are REALLY out to impress a crowd you can add some heavy whipping cream.  Pioneer Woman used cream cheese in her mashed potatoes.  I've done that too and it's good- but the cream is bow chicka wow wow good.  I didn't tell you how much to add because you just have to slowly work the potatoes and see what looks right.  You don't want to add too much liquid and have them runny.  And you may need to add more butter.  I have to try it as I go to make sure it's good.  
I've also used parmesan at the last minute when making mashed potatoes.  


Now.... if you are on a diet and you taste potatoes and they are great... spit them out immediately.  Because you know anything that tastes good wasn't made with margarine, or skim milk.  Just sayin'.  


As for me, I don't believe in diet potatoes.  I can promise you it's good!!!




1 comment:

  1. Thought we were fixing to do the "Mash Potatoe Dance"

    I do love these things....and guess what....They love me TOO!!

    Hugs,
    Shug

    ReplyDelete