Sunday, March 20, 2011

Potato soup


This is one of those meals that I don't really use a "recipe" for.  I've made it for so many years that I just throw it together and adjust the ingredients to taste.  

When I first moved into my apartment in Hot Springs and was on my own this is one of the things I had mom teach me how to make.  Actually it was potato soup and also broccoli soup.  I like them because it was just as great left over as it was when you first made it.  My mom actually had me making a little white sauce back in the day to thicken the soup and give it a creamy texture.  I don't do that anymore.
  
When we lived in Texas one of my favorite places to go eat was Houston's Restaurant.  We went to the Austin location.  There soup about drove me insane.  It had a different flavor that I could never put my finger on and I tried for a long time to duplicate their soup and I finally came up with a version that was pretty darn close!  
This is not a healthy recipe in any way shape or form.  I guess you could lighten it up and make it a lighter version but really?  It's still potato soup.  So why not let your hair down and go wild and indulge. If you're gonna eat this at least eat the sinful version so it's worth it. 
Begin with cooking some bacon.  I'd say about 8 pieces cooked until crisp. Set aside and reserve the bacon grease.


I usually use as a rule of thumb 2-3 potatoes for each person.  
In this case I used a bag of Yukon Gold potatoes.  I used about 5 pounds. Which is a lot! But I was making plenty to share and also have some left over the next day.

Peel them and cut them into quarters and boil until fork tender.


I used my large stock pot




Dice a whole white onion




Take about 2-3 teaspoons of the drippings and put this in a sauce pan and begin to saute the onions



Once your onions are tender you add liquid.  I use a combination of chicken broth and milk. 
Normally I would add about a quart of chicken broth and a quart of milk. 
This time I didn't have chicken broth so I used a half gallon of milk.  
Then your going to heat on LOW heat a whole block of Velveeta cheese that has been cut into cubes.

Stir continuously so that it won't scorch and stick to the bottom of the pan and ruin the whole recipe.

Here's my secret weapon:


Add a tablespoon of poultry seasoning.  (It's the sage and the thyme flavors I'm after)
And 1-2 teaspoons of paprika

After you've cooked your potatoes, drain them
Then it's time to combine your potatoes with your cheesy soup mixture
You then will need your potato masher to lightly mash them into managable chunks. 
This will also thicken the soup. 


Remember to stir!  Add your bacon back in and give it a little taste test.  I add salt VERY sparingly because of the cheese and the chicken broth.  You can pepper it to taste and adjust your seasonings if you like.  Add more if you need to.  

THEN... and here's the over-the-top sinful part.  

Add whipping cream.  1/2 pint is good.  It will add to the thickness and give it a rich flavor that is so worth it.  I used to add sour cream but it doesn't work as well in my opinion.  

Serve garnished with some paprika sprinkles on top.  You can also garnish it with some cheddar shreds, bacon, or chives if you care about making it presentable to company.  Usually by this time everyone in my house is drooling and ready to dig in!  Which is exactly what we did!  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds Yummy...I am a big soup eater and my favorite of all is Pot. soup.. Can't wait to try this recipe out...
    Thanks for sharing...
    Hugs
    Shug

    ReplyDelete