Thursday, December 2, 2010

Rudolph


My poor snow globe has seen better days!  Everyone is leaning to the right like a blue norther is blowing them sideways.  And some of the snow is stuck to the globe.  But it still blows snow and hold air so..... 
Up it went!  Thanks to my oldest elf son.  He was a busy boy yesterday while I was gone.  He put up lights outside around the back of the house around the fence and on the deck.  He also hung garland and lights around my front door.  And put lights on my mailbox.  All without being asked!   I guess the Christmas spirit has hit our house.  

I had such a fun day yesterday.  You guys know what a homebody I am.  I really love being home and I'm getting to where I just don't like shopping at all.  I have been going to great lengths to avoid our hometown Walmart.  And I don't do black Friday, and I didn't even think about cyber Monday.  But I did decide to buckle down and make a game plan to get my Christmas shopping done- all in one day.  At least that was my goal.  I made a list, checked it twice and then took off in the wee hours of the morning for Branson with my sweet friend Steph.  My plan was to hit the stores in the middle of the week when the crowds would be small and get it,  and get it done!  We got there as the stores were opening and we were determined to stay until the stores closed and we did.  We shopped- but never dropped! It was awesome!  I did get worried when I saw all the tour buses pull up and unload tons of elderly people at the mall.  But it didn't stop us!  I only have a couple of things left to buy and I'm very pleased to say I will not have to battle mall crowds anymore.  

The only set back we had was when we decided to come home, and  my car wouldn't start and it was 9:30 at night. And we were  two and a half hours from home.   But we weren't scared.  We were fully prepared to spend the night, if we had to, and shop another day.  But darn the luck my roadside assistance sent a tow truck out and he jumped my car  and it started.  (sigh)  and we came home.   I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy a new battery.  But what an adventure.  It was a memory I'll cherish forever.  I love my girlfriends!  I firmly believe the most memorable moments are the ones you don't plan.  The ones that just spontaneously happen. 

The last time I went to Branson was when Amy was in.... 7th or 8th grade? I think.  I can't remember but her cheerleading squad had performed at Silver Dollar City and we stayed at Chateau on the Lake, and even then we spent all of our free time ON the lake.  Since, that's what we do.  We're lake people.  Lake rats.  The only thing we shopped for was flip flops and sun screen! And that was at the nearest dock. 

I'd never been to Branson Landing.  It was fun, albeit COLD. We had to stop and buy coats halfway through the evening.  But we persevered.  :)   Thank you Steph for getting me out of my routine and showing me Branson.  I had a lovely time and I look forward to going back soon to take the girls to the Dixie Stampede!  I can't wait. I only hope and pray they still have pig races.  (That may sound like sarcasm to those that don't know me.) 

Today we decided to go buy a REAL tree for our nostalgic tree for the dining room.  So Evan and I took off and got a tree, a stand, and lights! What fun!  We decided since it was a nostalgic tree it needed to have the big multi-color bulbs on it.  It's one of my best childhood memories... laying under my tree as a child looking up through the branches and loving the glow of all of those multi-colored bulbs.  It truly gives me warm fuzzy Christmas thoughts.   The smell was completely intoxicating.... I'd hang an ornament and stop and smell my hands.  I haven't had a real tree since the year I killed three vacuum cleaners trying to get up all the pine needles when our kids were babies.  Since then I've been a fake tree kind of girl.  Which is funny... because anyone that's ever traveled to Arkansas with us can tell you that there's a little town we go through, and on our way through, we ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO  roll down our windows when we get near the saw mill and inhale the smell of pine.  It's not optional not to do it.  Even if it's minus 10 degrees.  We roll the windows down and smell.  
Why did I ever go to fake trees?????? 

oh yeah... the mess.  Well, it's early in the season we'll have to see how this plays out this year.  Plus I have fire fears that go back to high school.  But my risk for fires is hopefully minimal. 

Anyhoo... here's our little tree and here's a shout out to lumberjack Sam for helping us cut the branches and load it in the car!  


I love my tree!





I am also wanting to remind everyone to take the time to hug the people you love and tell them you love them.  One of my dearest childhood friends lost her husband yesterday.  He suffered a massive heart attack and passed away from this world way too soon.  My thoughts have been with her since late last night when I first found out.  If you believe, please pray for the comfort of my friend Beth Ann.  She was my first friend in Kindergarten and I've always loved her dearly.  She needs your prayers of comfort.   Life is good and it is short.  Make your time count. 

I love you friends! 
Hugs!






3 comments:

  1. I will remember you friend and her family in my prayers .
    Your tree is lovely... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Miss Carla! I knew you would like it! But then again you live with a lumber jack! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had such Fun and am soo Blessed to call you my friend!! The tree is so sentimental and beautiful! You inspire me!
    SB

    ReplyDelete