I spent countless hours staring at this cookie jar as a little kid
It belonged to my grandmother but she gave it to my mom and it was always in our house sitting on the kitchen counter full of something fresh and delicious. Needless to say it's one of those keepsakes that means a lot to me. Since I'm sharing my mom's recipes I also wanted to show you a small piece of her kitchen. It was always very warm and cozy.
Today I'm going to share with you the recipe mom used to make Divinity. She got this recipe from
Cora Elliston.
Divinity
4 cups of granulated sugar
1 cup of clear karo syrup
2/3 cup of water (and it says "not a drop more") haha!
1 tsp. of vanilla
4 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
wax paper
Break and separate 4 large eggs and add 1/4 tsp of salt to the egg whites
In a saucepan cook the sugar, karo syrup, and water on high heat. When the sugar starts to boiling you can start beating the egg whites. You want the syrup on the stove to cook to "hard ball" stage on the thermometer. Even then you can go 5 minutes past the hardball stage. It is better to overcook then undercook.
Continue beating the egg whites and when the sugar syrup is ready pour in a thin stream into the egg whites (while still beating the eggs). If you are not using a stand mixer you will need to hold the pan tightly. You can tell when it's setting up because it will lose some of it's gloss and it will start making peaks and it won't run. Then at the very end add your vanilla and nuts (lol- I swear it's not on the ingredient list!)
Spoon on to wax paper and let it cool.
Ok. As I'm typing I come across the nut thing and just bust up laughing. I don't know if that was my mom's error or Cora's. But I love the way the recipe is written down just as if she's telling you how to do it. :)

Divinity... it always reminds me of Christmas at my grandmother's house. I'm going to make some now that I have a recipe! :)))
ReplyDelete