Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Orange Dreamsicle Cake

Robin brought me a cookbook from Shangri-la this week and I love this cookbook!  It has Shangri-la Resort's pie recipes in it.  As I started thumbing through the recipes I realized I knew a lot of the people that submitted recipes, so that made it twice as nice.
Today I'm going to make a recipe out of that cookbook that was given by Bonnie Carr.   Bonnie is Phillip's wife, and Phillip and I grew up together.  Most of my childhood memories at Shangri-la Resort include Phillip.  We even got food poisoning together. haha!  Ahhh good times! (not).  Do you remember when you had to be old enough to go into a PG rated movie?  I think you had to be 12.  We weren't old enough to go see the PG movie so Becky and Marcy dropped us off at the theatre next door to the movie they were going to see and we watched a rated G movie. They told us not to eat because we were eating pizza after the movies.  Well, those movie hot dogs were just too tempting.  We ate a hot dog each, then went on later and had pizza thinking we'd never be found out.  Then we both woke up in the middle of the night violently ill.  It didn't take long to realize that it was just Phillip and me that were ill, everyone else was fine.  They wanted to know what we had to eat... and so we confessed that we'd had hot dogs at the Malco.  Dang it.  We were busted.  My family ended up not being able to travel home because of that and had to stay on a few extra days.
This is probably not the best story to share right before posting a recipe!  But I am sure Bonnie's recipe is safe!!  Just stay away from those movie theatre hot dogs or any hot dogs that sit on those little roller cookers.  :)


Here's Bonnie's recipe for Orange Dreamsicle Cake:

1 pkg. of orange cake mix *
2 -3 oz. pkg. of orange jell-o divided
1- 3 oz. pkg. of vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup of cold milk
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
1 8 oz. carton of whipped topping

Prepare cake according to package directions and bake in a 9 x 13 pan.  When it is done use a fork to poke holes across the top of the entire cake. Let cool.
In a bowl combine 1 package of jell-o and 1 cup of hot water, stir to dissolve. Add one cup of cold water to the mixture and pour over the cake. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.  In a mixing bowl, combine remaining package of jell-o, pudding mix, milk, and vanilla.  Beat with a mixer until creamy and slightly thickened.
Fold in whipped topping spread and then add to top of cake. Keep cake refrigerated.

Recipe note:  If you cannot find orange cake mix (and I'm certain that I won't be able to in Grove Wal-mart) you can use yellow, white, or butter cake mix and add one package of unsweetened orange flavored kool-aid to the batter.

Amy wanted me to make this last night at 8:00 p.m. and I just laughed.  So today I think I'll go get the ingredients and surprise her.

No comments:

Post a Comment