That's where they drop bobbers from a helicopter into the lake and people that get a bobber may win a prize that is donated by the Grove area merchants. Then each bobber whether or not there is a prize attached is eligible for an entry into a drawing. The grand prize is a trip to Cozumel.
I thought this could be fun! So, I got out on the lake before 8:00 a.m. because that was when they were going to start.
Joe and I sat and watched boats filter into the Honey Creek area

We sipped on our hot coffee and stared at clouds.....
And at one point Joe says "I see a helicopter..." and I look up and all I can see is a bird. So, naturally, I don't believe him. He just shakes his head at me. Then before long he says "there it is again."
And sure enough I see the helicopter making it's way towards us and I thought "well, I hope it comes over by us." because I envisioned them just dumping bobbers out as they flew along the lake.

But I quickly realized we were about to have company. The boats that had been in Honey Creek were now following the helicopter as it went up the lake. My inner voice thought "What the heck?"
I did not do the bobber drop last year and didn't realize that people follow the helicopter around.

Or that the helicopter would go so slow that it would LET all of these boats catch up to it before it tossed out bobbers. There was no mass drop like I thought there would be. It was stop here~ and stop there~ toss a few out~ move on a little bit~ let the boats catch up~ and so on...

I was relieved when I saw that they were moving on past us because I wanted NO part of that.

But then he pulls a crazy Ivan and heads back towards our boat...

And then I realized that I really wanted no part of being near a helicopter. But he was close enough that I could see exactly what was going on. He stopped. And LITERALLY threw out 5 bobbers. FIVE!
And have you ever fed pigeons and thrown a piece of food out and watched them flock towards it? Or thrown a cracker in the lake and watched all the fish swim towards it?? That is what happened with the boats. From every direction they dashed towards the bobbers. Little bitty bobbers. Boats going at them.
I stood there with my mouth hanging wide open waiting for someone to get killed.

It was a feeding frenzy. And it was at this point that I remembered people will do anything for free stuff.
Isn't that crazy?
Then the helicopter moved on down towards Sailboat Bridge and all the boats followed. And we about capsized in our little boat. The waves were huge.
Joe and I decided that what we really wanted instead of a free ice chest or a knock-off designer purse from an area merchant, or a trip to Cozumel was breakfast!
So we rode over to Tera Miranda and had a nice breakfast. But people are CRAZY sometimes. As we're going along this boat comes up from behind us and as he gets ever- so- slightly ahead of us decided to cut straight across in front of us. What an idiot. Right across the bow of our boat.
Sometimes I really do have violent thoughts. It happens when someone puts people I love in danger. And believe me, I was having violent thoughts right then.
I know a couple of my friends reading this are thinking "Oh my gosh! What's happened to the happy Trish?"
It's ok. I'm still here. I've decided that it was a lesson learned. And therefore I booked a room in Dallas for next weekend. I'm going shopping! And getting the heck away from here for a weekend before I hurt some knuckle head.
And... our day got brighter after this adventure. We got to see our friends Rick, Darla, Andy, and Alex. We had a great time with them visiting and boating to dinner. It was a wonderful end to our day!
Life is Good!!
<3

No comments:
Post a Comment