Tonight I'm making Chicken Eddy. I got this recipe when Joe was in the Army from another Army wife. I have no idea who Eddy is though. This was one of my staple recipes I used when the kids were little and I was working. I never used a crock pot back then because they just didn't work well for me. Not like the incredible crock pots available now. So dinner was usually made in a rush. We relied heavily upon Contadina pasta but on nights we didn't have that (or chicken strips) I had a couple of recipes I could whip out pretty fast. One was chicken pot pie and the other was Chicken Eddy.
Ingredients are:
2 cans of soup- you can use any 2 flavors you like (mushroom, chicken, or celery)
2 large cans (or 4 small cans) of Chicken
1/2 stick of butter or margarine
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup of onion
1/2 cup of fresh mushrooms
8 oz. of flat egg noodles (I use no-yolks)
I, however, can take laziness to a whole new level when I want to. I managed to get 3 flavors of soup by finding a can of cream of celery and a can of cream of chicken/ and mushroom combined. Yay me!
I use the mushroom soup because I usually omit the fresh mushrooms. They are delicious and super easy but Amy isn't crazy about them so I just don't add it.
I also don't measure the onion. I took a walk on the wild side and decided that HALF of an onion sounded perfectly appropriate.
I do use the no yolk noodles because they have no cholesterol and I'm all about health you know.
My one vice is I do prefer to hand shred cheese because it just tastes better but I can live with myself if I use a bag of pre-shredded cheese. But here's what I got today.
This is a screw up. Can you see that? Colby isn't the easiest cheese to shred anyway but it melts nicely but I failed to notice it was slices. I did manage to shred it but it took about 5 times as long. And in the end it didn't seem like enough so I threw some pre-shredded stuff in there too.
So here's what I do.... I boil my noodles according to the package directions and then drain them and rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process. While they're draining I throw my butter and onion in the pot I just used.
Then I add the soups, undiluted. I also drain the water out of the cans of chicken and throw it in there and mix it up. Then I add the noodles back in and stir it. Then I add the shredded cheese. If it looks too thick you can use some milk to thin it out some.
Then I sprinkled some parsley on there. It won't hurt if you don't do it but my two favorite garnishes in the whole world are parsley and paprika. It just "finishes" the dish and makes it look nice. People think you worked sooooo hard on it.
I did add some ground black pepper in it too, but no salt. I think between the canned stuff and the cheese it's salty enough. And people can always add their own salt to it later.
Then you put it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 40-50 minutes or until it's bubbly.
Then you can serve it with rolls and a salad or a vegetable and call it good. Or you can slap it on a ding-dong and call it good.
This isn't low carb, low calorie, low fat, or low sodium. So if you're trying to watch those it's best to stay clear of this Chicken Eddy recipe.
But it IS warm, cheesy, satisfying, and super easy to make. And is perfect for a Friday night!
Enjoy!!! Life is good!





No comments:
Post a Comment