I remember walking through the woods with my dad and he would ask me to identify different birds by their calls. Of course back then, when I was just a kid I didn't think much of it. And I'm sure Dad didn't think anyone of it was sinking in.
I thought everyone's parents got excited and shouted "oh my gosh! There is a painted bunting!" But now that I'm grown I realize that is an interest that not everyone shares. I took for granted hearing the "Chuck Will's Widow" when I was little living in Hughes County. You don't here those just everywhere. I also knew that I only heard crows caw when I was around Lake Ouachita.
The only thing I paid much attention to was the grackles that lived in East Texas. We didn't have those anywhere else. Dad told me they sounded like that because they ate too many cigarette butts. Which is a typical Thomas Lee story. He had a warped sense of humor and I didn't realize he was pulling my leg until I was grown.
Our first winter on Grand Lake was such a wonderful surprise. I woke up one morning to the sound of a whole flock of sea gulls (I know this will draw comments from the peanut gallery). And the only place I had ever heard those was at the ocean. Then I found out that we have pelicans migrate through here. It turns out we are on a migratory pattern for all sorts of different species of birds and it is so amazing! And here I find myself with four different bird books. And yes, binoculars.
This time of year I will look out my back window and it is like a scene from "Out Of Africa" with birds flying by, just over the water, for sometimes and hour at a time without a break in their pattern. You'll see Cormorants, gulls, pelicans, and herons. Last year I did manage to capture a video on my phone but I'm not sure I could find it to repost. Sunday when Joe and I were out boating we left the house and this is what we saw...
Here they are at rest
But when we got on plane the gulls took off.
We did a wide circle and came back around on the other side of the lake and I'd forgotten about the gulls until I looked over at our house and saw this.
Then I realized that I am not used to seeing the birds from the opposite side. Like you guys my view is always out. Not in.
I'd like to say that there is some philosophical meaning behind that but there isn't. It's just a simple observation.
Anyway, hope everyone is having a blessed day!
Life is good!



No comments:
Post a Comment