Friday, May 20, 2011

Amy's Graduation Day (Then and Now)

Reading a graduation card

It's Graduation Day and I couldn't be more proud of my girl!  But the truth is this is the day I've dreaded for years.  Here's a glimpse of the day I realized that this day was going to come way too fast:


This is her Kindergarten graduation day.  And I sat with tears rolling down my face while the other moms smiled sweetly at their kids.   Being my baby I knew that this moment was the first of many lasts.  I can really torture myself huh?   
Here is a glimpse of what Amy was like then:


She started English riding lessons and she loved one thing more than anything else in the world.

Horses!  

Her riding instructor was Miss Ashley and her horse's name was Jiggs.  Jiggs could be a pill but he would stop if she wobbled while doing her saddle exercises and wait for her to get balanced again. Ashley was so proud of Amy.  She really didn't want to take her on as a student because she didn't have any other kids that young.  But after just a short while Ashley told us that Amy had made her so proud.  She told Amy from day 1 that if she wanted to ride she had to be a big girl and do her own work.  Amy always carried her own saddle (which weighed almost as much as she did) and she carried all her tack out.  She would go get Jiggs, and put his bridle on.  She would groom him including picking up his hooves one by one and picking out the dirt.  She mucked out his stall with a pitch fork that when filled with hay weighed almost as much as she did.  But she never complained.  Even at the end of a lesson when she was tired and hot and had to groom him once more before putting him back out to pasture.  One day a barn kitty showed up and Ashley named him Leo because he was orange like a lion.  Does that name ring a bell with anyone???  


Amy was a Daisy Scout and then the next year a Brownie.  I was their Girl Scout leader but the truth is...
Amy hated me being her leader.  The girls would hug and kiss me and sit on my lap and Amy was not happy about having to share me with the other girls.  That was when she perfected her pout.  





Amy could entertain herself for hours by drawing and coloring.
This says "Amy is five years old.  She likes Spaghetti, corn, and peas.  She likes to ride horses with her brother Evan.  Her favorite thing to do is swing." 



And here's a "kiss" project her teacher had us do.  

We had to write down things about Amy
It says:
"Amy is very sweet.  Always giving big hugs and kisses. Amy is fun to play with and she always makes us laugh.  Amy is a very talented artist and she is especially good at drawing.  Amy can sing really pretty.  Amy is very helpful.  Amy is very kind to animals and loves to pet them, feed them, and take care of them.  Amy is very brave and will try things like tubing behind the boat,  or skiing down a snowy mountain, or riding her bike, or rollerblading.  Amy tries very hard to do her best.  Amy is a sweet daughter and we couldn't be prouder of her. "  oops.  prouder?  haha.  Did proof read that one. 

The very same could be said about her today.  Minus the rollerblading. 



Today this is the horse she loves.... Well, one of them anyway!
This picture actually sums up a couple of things she loves:  OU and football.  


Her girlfriends
Amy has made some incredible friends this year.  Some of these girls she's known for years but grew close to this year. 

Amy's cheer family

Amy and Meghan led the team this year through some serious trials.  I'm really proud of how this squad handled adversity.  They have grown very close as a result.  She loves these girls.  

Mashed Potatoes.  Loves 'em. 

Evan.  She loves him too.
I'm so blessed to have kids that get along.  They love and respect each other! 



I don't think this blog will be long enough for me to go on with the pictures of everything she loves now.  

So I'll just close with this.

Amy Alexander has been a ray of sunshine in our lives.  She is a hard worker.  A goal setter, and a risk-taker in all the right ways.  She put herself out there this year by trying out at OU for cheerleading and it was an incredible intimidating experience.  It didn't work out but I believe God has other plans for Amy. She came out of school in the top 10% of her class.  She didn't take blow off courses this year even though she could have.  She had 3 honors classes and came home with a science award the other day for her efforts.  She's led by example this year.  She has the kind of character any parent would be proud of. She is level-headed, steady, honest, and also tender-hearted, and loving.  She always does what she says she will.  She is not manipulative or sneaky.  She is extremely trustworthy.  She makes good, sound decisions.  She is the funniest person we know.  She's not afraid to be goofy or laugh at herself.  If she could figure out a way to make money by memorizing rap lyrics or movie lines she'd be set.  I have no doubt that she will be successful at college.  She set OU as a goal for herself many years ago and has worked hard to attain that.  She didn't apply to one other college.  
It's going to be hard to watch her walk across that stage because we know it won't be long before she'll begin a new chapter in her life.  But how could we not be just bursting with pride?  She is a fine human being.  We wish her the best of luck in the future but she won't really need it! She'll set her goals before too long and there will be no stopping her.  

We love you sweet girl!
Love, Mom  (and Dad too) 



3 comments:

  1. Awe.....you are making my eyes well up. Trish, I will be thinking about you on the rainy, happy, proud, bitter-sweet day today. Hang in there my friend :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me cry. What a wonderful person you have raised. I am proud for you. I will be thinking of you today.

    Kari~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you made me get all choked up.
    I know you are proud and should be. Amy is a beautiful and capaible young woman.
    Our jobs as parents is the only one in the world that the main objective is to work yourself out of a job. I know today is bitter/sweet for you but its plain to see you`ve done a great job!

    ReplyDelete