Monday, June 20, 2011

I found a little friend


Today while I was out watering I had a bird come fly at me and land just right by my feet.  I'm not going to lie.  It scared the heck out of me.  I have a love/hate relationship with birds.  It stems from having to go gather eggs when I was little.  Sometimes it went smoothly and every now and then... a chicken would still be on the nest.  "Just reach under her " my mom would say.  I say that now with a mocking voice.  Because what happened was.. 9 times of of 10 the stupid chicken would sense my nervousness and would peck me.   Then there were the ducks at Shangri-La when I was little.  They'd come waddling up the lawn and my parents would run to get me a slice of bread so that I could feed them.  They'd coax me to just pull off a small piece and give it to them.  Of course I'd want to throw it but they would inevitably talk me into holding it until the duck would come to take it out of my hand.  And you know what?  Their beaks have little teeth-like things that HURT.  I'd scream, it would flap, squawk, and leave.  Not good.  I'm sure I've had other bird experiences that have added to my fear.    I love birds... just from a DISTANCE.  And any bird that comes at me has to be rabid.   (That reminds me of another story about the flying squirrel but that wasn't a bird, so we'll save that one for another time.)  

So here's this baby bird fluttering around me and it was faaaaaa-reaking me out.  The hose was squirting everywhere and then I realized.... it's thirsty!  And it's a BABY.  This poor little bird didn't fly real well.  It had to be fresh out of the nest.  So I stood there letting water hit the driveway while the spray covered the bird.  It would rub it's tiny head on the pavement and wiggle like it was bathing.  I could not believe it didn't run from me.  I'm still not convinced something was wrong with it (like rabies! lol)  but it would not budge~  I even took steps towards it and it didn't fly away.  So I had Joe run in the house and get my camera.  It would do it's little bird thing... digging through the mulch and getting sips of water but it would look at me!  Like... "Are you my mother?"    I must have read that book one trillion times to the kids when they were little.  


I took a few hundred photos of it in the mulch





Then we decided to give it left over bird seed from this winter (it didn't eat it)




Then my crazy husband decided to touch it!




Sorry this is blurry~ but that was terrifying.  I can't believe how brave his is.  

I hope he stays safe tonight when it storms.  :)  



Life is... terrifying.  And good!

2 comments:

  1. How cute....would you believe I just found one in my flower bed..I took a lot of pictures of the little thing, and I would love to help it....but Sam says that if I touch it, it's mother will not come back for it....What to do...
    Btw...your little birdie is prettier than mine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered about that! But there didn't appear to be a parent anywhere around. And he was "sort of" old enough to fend for himself. I hope he survived our storm last night. :/

    ReplyDelete